The girls LOVE to help with baking and cooking! The problem is that their help sometimes turns more into a burden; hope I’m not the only that feels this way! I get so excited to make something with them but before I get halfway through, I think “what was I thinking?!”. Here’s the thing though, when your little ones go into the pantry and create a “special breakfast” for you that involves chocolate, nutella, candy, and some other sweet stuff they find, you know it’s time to make something with them- something that doesn’t quite give you cavities on the spot 🙂
I wanted to make something that wouldn’t involve a bath afterwards, yet something that they wouldn’t be bored watching me do the whole thing. Soooo…I thought back to my *”Top Chef” experience and decided to tackle French Toast Roll-ups. You should know–they are the perfect hands on, easy peasy recipe! I absolutely LOVED seeing their lit up faces when I told them that we’re going to make something together!
*[I was one of the table leaders for a class called Top Chef. The class was offered during a week long kid’s camp]
French Toast Roll-Ups
- 9 slices of white bread (the poofy, fluffy kind)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 4 Tbsp cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp nutella
1. Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin (perfect for the little ones).
2. Mix the cream cheese and nutella together. Place 1 tsp of mixture onto each slice and then have child spread it out in a strip with the back of a regular teaspoon.
3. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a shallow bowl.
4. Roll the bread up and have little ones soak these into the egg mixture until all sides are coated.
5. Butter a pan in order to cook these. Cook in batches, turning each one until cooked on all sides.
6. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Sprinkle the cooked roll-ups with this mixture. Serve with berries on top–the perfect taste!